Tribunal Constitucional Gardens

A garden of greens in the Spring, and colourful leaves in the Autumn

Open on days:

25

10:00 — 18:00

Travessa da Horta

In this space you can’t fail to be wowed by two magnificent Metrosideros, standing guard by a double staircase leading from the palace to the garden.

This garden forms part of Ratton Palace, currently the headquarters of the Portuguese Constitutional Court.

The history of Jácome Ratton, an influential French-Portuguese merchant and industrialist at the end of the 18th Century, is intertwined with the history of Lisbon and Portugal. Having lived through the great earthquake of 1755, in 1764 he gifted several ash trees to be planted in the first public garden in Portugal, the Passeio Público (today part of Avenida da Liberdade).

Jácome owned many businesses in Portugal. In 1785, he bought an old hat factory from Gabriel Milliet in Rua Formosa (today called Rua do Século), moving into a vacant palace on the same road belonging to the family of the Marquês de Pombal. This is where we encounter this garden today.


Voltar